Conditions of entry
Safety is of paramount importance for everyone involved – Participants, Spectators, and organisers and all others using Coillte, private lands and Wild Nephin National park and other areas that the event travels on.
Please Pay Attention to Safety at all times.
The following list of rules and regulations, which are non-exhaustive, MUST be adhered to at ALL times during the event.
- All entrants to Gravel Grind West weekend events: The Skelp Blast, The Bothy , The Wild Nephin and the Wild Nephin Rocky and in all classes, must confirm that they have read, understood and agreed to all our terms and conditions as detailed on this page prior to entering the event.
- By completing your purchase of entry we will accept that you are compliant with all FAQ and that you have agreed to proceed with the understanding that these conditions will be adhered to.
- If you do not agree with any of the conditions detailed below then please do not proceed with your purchase as post-queries will not be accepted.
- You may however contact us if you have any queries about our conditions before you proceed with a purchase. Please contact us with any questions at email@example.com.
- Cycling Ireland members must include their membership number while entering the event. You will be asked to show evidence of your membership during registration.
- Non-Cycling Ireland members will pay €10 for a one day licence for each day applicable 17th and 18th of September 2022
- This fee is included in the price on the Cycling Ireland website checkout.
- You will not receive any documentation for this one day licence until registration when you will be required to sign the official Cycling Ireland one day insurance document. Cycling Ireland will provide insurance for all entrants of Gravel Grind West weekend. This will be effective for Saturday 17th September 2022 until you cross the finish line at The Quay in Westport on the same date.
- If you plan on participating in other GGW events and you do not have a Cycling Ireland membership please do so for those event also.
- Upon finishing the event your insurance cover will end and Cycling Ireland will no longer be responsible for insurance cover.
- Entries are strictly non-refundable. Preparation for this event took place months ago and pre orders are made based on entrants. It is for this reason that we cannot offer a refund, in part or in full, if you decide to cancel. No exceptions will be made. Also note that transfers or deferments will not be allowed.
- Change of route distance or bike class is permitted up to 7 days before the event. Change of bike class will not be charged.
- After 10th of September 2022 no changes will be permitted.
- Participants must accept that in the event of extreme weather, safety issues or any other events that directly affect the welfare of participants that the event schedule may be altered or postponed to prevent risk to participants and staff of the event.
- Decisions will be made by the event safety officer in congress with local authorities and event partners to issue a final decision. Participant welfare is paramount and will be the deciding factor. In the event of postponement a rescheduled date will be arranged. Entrants who do not wish to participate in a rescheduled event will be eligible to receive a refund in full, payable within 30 days of the announcement of the rescheduled date or transfer to the following year.
- In the event that government or cycling Ireland guidelines dont allow the event to run due to Covid 19 your entry will be automatically transferred to same date in 2023
- All riders must sign our indemnity form in order to take part in the event.
- Official parking spaces are provided at the Quay and surrounding carparks that will be specified on the event briefing.
- Please note that we are not responsible for damage or theft of your vehicle and you park at your own risk.
- All entrants must be prepared to participate in the event by having all required kit as detailed on our website. Missing required kit may disqualify you from proceeding from the start line and no refund will be given either in part or in full.
- In order to participate in this event please ensure you are of reasonable fitness and as best prepared physically and mentally. This is a demanding course and will require stamina, strength and positive mindfulness to complete. Participants must inform us of any issues we should be aware of that may carry a risk to your health and safety by participating in the event. We cannot accept responsibility of any issues that may arise due to ill-health occurring due to your participation in the event.
- Participants must be present at the start line to take part in the safety briefing. Times can be found on this website. Absence from the briefing will disqualify you from the event.
- GPS tracker (If provided)must be carried at all times during the event. The small lightweight device will be placed in the back-middle pocket of your cycling jersey.
- All participants will be given an event number to be cable tied to the front of their bike, you will receive this at check in.
- All participants should heed safety advice given on the website. Any actions by you deemed unsafe during your participation, either endangering yourself or other riders, will disqualify you immediately from continuing with the event.
- Instructions from marshals and event staff must be adhered to at all times. Failing to do so will disqualify you immediately from continuing with the event.
- Participants must be respectful of other riders while cycling the route.
- Use rules of the road throughout, stay left at 2-way sectors (sign-posted) and proceed with caution at exits and entrances of each forest section. For your own safety always comply with marshal instructions at these junctions. Some sectors include public access such as public parking at forests. Be aware of vehicles or pedestrians in these areas. Although highly unlikely, you may also come across hikers, walkers, vehicles or unexpected hazards. Be vigilant at all times to keep yourself and others out of harm.
- In the event of coming across a participant who is in need of medical assistance you are required to stop and assist the participant. Contact event control to arrange medical help before continuing on the course. If you believe that the participant should not be left alone please stay until the rapid response medic arrives.
- All participants must respect the environs. Do not drop litter or damage the course in any way. Also respect local residents and properties at the town of Westport (Leave NO Trace) both before setting off and on return.
- Be aware that the 14k Great Western Greenway towards the finish will be open to traffic at various junctions so be vigilant.
- Participants of The Bothy Challenge will not have cut-off times applied. We anticipate all riders to complete the course within an acceptable time.
- Participants of the Wild Nephin 110k and the Wild Nephin Rocky Challenges will have one cut-off time applied. This will be at the first visit at The Bothy check point and fed station @44.6k the cut-off time will be 12.30pm. This gives riders 3.30hrs to cycle 44k from the rolling start at 9am, as continuing on the full route at that rate would result in the rider cycling in the dark and unable to see waymarked signs.
- You will still receive a finisher medal at the finish, or depending on what covid guidlines are in place at the time.
By entering the event all participants accept that official photography and videography may produce images of participants taking part in the event and that these images may be used by the event organisers for promotional or press purposes.
This event is not a race.
No prizes will be presented for places.
PERSONAL INDEMNITY WAIVER (MUST BE SIGNED AT REGISTRATION ON 17TH/18TH September 2022)
In consideration of the acceptance of my application for entry, I hereby freely agree to make the following contractual representations and agreements:
- I fully realize the risks and dangers of participating in this event and fully assume the risk associated with such participation, including but not limited to the following dangers; exhaustion, collision with pedestrians, vehicles, other participants and fixed or moving objects, sliding down hills, falling rocks, dangers arising from other surface hazards, equipment failure, weather conditions, animals, the possibility of physical and or mental trauma and injury including death.
- I fully understand the dangers of participating in this event and I understand that there are more hazards than are itemized here, and that there are unknown and unforeseeable hazards. I engage in the event with knowledge of the inherent risks of injury.
- I agree to abide by the rules and conditions laid down for the event and to follow instructions issued by the organisers’ officials. I understand that circumstances beyond the control of the organisers may cause the event to be modified, postponed or relocated.
- I accept that the organisers reserve the right to refuse entry from persons considered to have insufficient experience or disqualify those who fail to follow the rules and conditions.
- I confirm that the details entered by me on my entry form are true.
- I, for myself and my heirs and executors, hereby waive, release and forever discharge Ireland West Promotions Group, their agents and representatives, sponsors, any and all volunteers assisting in race production, from all injuries, ailments or other consequences suffered by me in the race caused by my negligence, and I agree to hold them harmless for all claims, damages, losses, judgments, and costs of whatever nature and form arising as a result of my participation in the event and hereby agree and undertake to indemnify them accordingly.
- I understand that the entry fee will be non-refundable and non-transferable.
- I hereby grant full permission to any and all of the above parties to use any photographs, videotapes, motion pictures, website images, recordings or any other record of this event for the purpose of promotion or used in press, publications or online.
- I understand the risks involved in this event and I have carefully read, understand and voluntarily accept the terms of this waiver and release agreement.
Date: 17th/18th September 2021
Print Name Sign Name